Friday 13 July 2012

Macaroni Cheese with Broccoli

One of my daughter's favourite meals, ever since she was very small, is macaroni cheese.  I've been promising it to her again for ages and as she has a friend over tonight, I came through with my promise.


I like to make it with veggies thrown in to make it more interesting and colourful.  I can only give approximate quantities because I throw in whatever is lying around.  Here is my latest version.

500g packet of fusilli pasta, because we've run out of macaroni
Butter
2 x onions, chopped
4 x cloves garlic, chopped
6 x smokey bacon rashers, chopped
1 x head of broccoli, chopped into small pieces
Plain flour
Mustard powder
Milk - approx. 3 cups? (I don't actually measure this)
Cheese, grated - approx. 2 cups? (I used a good strong Cheddar)
Nutmeg, grated


Put a large pot of water on to boil.  When ready, cook the pasta as directed.

Meanwhile, melt a small chunk of butter in a large saucepan.  Stir in the onions, garlic and bacon.  Cook until the bacon is done.  Stir in the broccoli pieces.

Add some flour (approx. 1 big spoon), and a pinch or so of mustard powder, and stir well until thoroughly mixed through.

Slowly pour in the milk, constantly stirring and cook until it starts to thicken.  Add cheese and stir into mixture until melted.  Season with some grated nutmeg - I personally add about a small spoonful, but just a pinch would do.

When pasta is cooked, drain and add the sauce.  Give it a good mix around and serve.

If you're wondering what to drink with this, I had a glass of champagne from the bottle I opened "just because" a couple of days ago!

Cheers, enjoy!

Caryl ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment